Website Design Blog
IDL Web at Lambton College Employer Expo
Get the indepth knowledge of web design/development by connecting with us. At IDL Web, we specialize in website design, development and support.
Have you looking for a CoOp / Internship as part of your Lambton College program, submit your resume today at IDL Web.
Authorize.net's API indicates a character limit of 255 characters on the 'description' parameter. However, the plugin does not trim the string. This can potentially result in failed transactions.
The issue is only evident if you're selling multiple products on a single form, and these products have very long names/labels.Add a comment
2018 marked the "End of Life" for PHP 5.6 and 7.0. In the very near future, PHP 7.1 will come to it's "End of Life". You may have seen the big red warning on your Joomla administrator panel regarding the upgrade and may have even attempted at upgrading PHP yourself only to have your Joomla site crash (blank page).Add a comment
You may have recently seen PHP 5.x warnings in your Joomla Administrator Control Panel. According to PHP.net, PHP 5.6 support will come to an End of Life on December 31, 2018.Add a comment
cPanel hosting hacked by malware called Cloki? IDL Web Inc. has the fix that can help you protect your hosting account from being taken down due to Cloki overloading server by running multiple processes concurrently..Add a comment
My name is Jacob Hodara, founder and senior Joomla developer at IDL Web Inc. I began my web development career in the year 2000, since 2005 focusing mainly on web development using Joomla (and Mambo for those who remember). Initially, I started developing Joomla templates, today we provide a complete set of Joomla Services for a global Joomla client base.
Over the years, I've dealt with thousands of customers and websites & understand how difficult it is to hire Joomla developer who is an expert. This article is a combination of 17+ years of experience, it's goal - to help you find right Joomla Developers for hire.
Can anyone become a Web developer for Joomla?
The short answer is yes.
Anyone 'can' say they are a professional Joomla developer in this online world.
Use this checklist to assess the developer
- Email the developer - see how quickly they respond.
- Lookup their LinkedIn profile, do they have any recommendations?
- Ask the developer for reference links. Not just links, ask what specific tasks they completed when building this website.
- Find out how long has the developer been in business.
- See if the developer has any reviews, such as on Google, Yelp or other popular review sites.
- Request a short phone or Skype call. This should give you a good indication of their level of professionalism.
- Ask the developer some extension recommendations, example: "What form builder do you prefer using and why?"
- Is the developer Joomla certified? (Joomla Certification Program was introduced in recent years)
What skills should a Joomla Developer posses?
- PHP, HTML, CSS, JS/jQuery
- Joomla site / server security
- Knowledge of core Joomla
- Proper knowledge of Joomla overrides
- Proper knowledge of Joomla templates
- Joomla MVC
What about hiring a Joomla Developer offshore?
If you currently own a website, there is a good chance an offshore company has reached out to you by now.
Over the years, we've heard some bad experiences with offshore companies.
- Timezone issues - If you run into a 'web emergency' during business hours, is the offshore team available? It may be 3AM where they are located.
- Communication - Trying to communicate ideas, instructions and directions can be difficult.
- Team Leader - You may be dealing with a team leader who then has to pass on information to his team. Though this is not a problem, expect a 'broken phone' approach where specific details can be missed or mistranslated.
- Cost - $10/hour is a great price, but if it takes 5-10 hours to complete where is the cost saving?
How to Hire Dedicated Joomla Developer?
Cost of hiring a Joomla Developer
Generally cost is broken down to an hourly rate or a flat project rate.
Hourly rates can range from $50-$120 USD for a North American based Joomla developer.
Flat rate project will depend on scope of project, below are some rough esimates:
- Custom designed responsive Joomla template - $1500+
- Shopping Cart Joomla website - $4500+
- Corporate Joomla website - $4500+
- Directory Joomla website - $4500+
- Social Joomla website - $4500+
- Joomla extension - $1000+
- Joomla module - $750+
- Joomla plugin - $750+
- Joomla SEO - $1000+
- Joomla security audits - $500+
Add a comment
A very common issue with upgrades in some environments is the Ajax loading - error on upgrade (Core Joomla upgrade).
If you already tried the usual causes like php post_max_size and max_exec_time and you haven't figured it out why it still doesn't work try our next solution below.Add a comment
Joomla 3.7 introduced the custom fields as part of the core. It was a great feature missing in previous releases. However you may experience some issues while upgrading your site and trying to use it.
If you face the "illegal mix of collations issue" and already tried to fix the collation in phpmyadmin or using AdminTools extension, you can try the solution below.Add a comment
Are you local Business competing with National Brands?
Like you, most of the local businesses suffer due to fierce competition of big brands operating next door. Revenues have been dwindling, customers are gone and margins have shrunk. For other few local businesses, growth has stagnated and they are not growing as much as they would want to or could have potentially grown given the equal ground and budgets of big brands.
If this is what you can relate to then get supercharged up to lead your local business to successfully compete with well-recognized brands. Brick & Mortar or local service area businesses now have an option to get found online without much investment in building their online presence & competing with budgets of mega-corporations.