Hire a Professional Joomla Developer in 2018
The purpose of this article is to provide insightful information about hiring a Joomla professional for your next project.
My name is Jacob Hodara, founder and senior Joomla developer at IDL Web Inc. I began my web development career in the year 2000, since 2005 focusing mainly on web development using Joomla (and Mambo for those who remember). Initially, I started developing Joomla templates, today we provide a complete set of Joomla Services for a global Joomla client base.
Over the years, I've dealt with thousands of customers and websites. This article is a combination of 17+ years of experience, its goal - to help you hire the right Joomla professional.
Can anyone become a Joomla Developer?
The short answer is yes.
Anyone 'can' say they are a professional Joomla developer in this online world.
Use this checklist to assess the developer
- Email the developer - see how quickly they respond.
- Lookup their LinkedIn profile, do they have any recommendations?
- Ask the developer for reference links. Not just links, ask what specific tasks they completed when building this website.
- Find out how long has the developer been in business.
- See if the developer has any reviews, such as on Google, Yelp or other popular review sites.
- Request a short phone or Skype call. This should give you a good indication of their level of professionalism.
- Ask the developer some extension recommendations, example: "What form builder do you prefer using and why?"
- Is the developer Joomla certified? (Joomla Certification Program was introduced in recent years)
What skills should a Joomla Developer posses?
- PHP, HTML, CSS, JS/jQuery
- Joomla site / server security
- Knowledge of core Joomla
- Proper knowledge of overrides
- Proper knowledge of Joomla templates
- Joomla MVC
What about offshore an Joomla Developer?
If you currently own a website, there is a good chance an offshore company has reached out to you by now.
Over the years, we've heard some bad experiences with offshore companies.
- Timezone issues - If you run into a 'web emergency' during business hours, is the offshore team available? It may be 3AM where they are located.
- Communication - Trying to communicate ideas, instructions and directions can be difficult.
- Team Leader - You may be dealing with a team leader who then has to pass on information to his team. Though this is not a problem, expect a 'broken phone' approach where specific details can be missed or mistranslated.
- Cost - $15/hour is a great price, but if it takes 5-10 hours to complete where is the cost saving?
How to find a Joomla Developer?
- Joomla Forums
- Google Search
- Various freelancer sites
- Word of mouth
Cost of hiring a Joomla Developer
Generally cost is broken down to an hourly rate or a flat project rate.
Hourly rates can range from $50-$120USD for a North American based Joomla developer.
Flat rate project will depend on scope of project, below are some rough esimates
- Custom designed responsive Joomla template - $1500+
- Shopping Cart Joomla website - $2500+
- Corporate Joomla website - $2500+
- Directory Joomla website - $2500+
- Social Joomla website - $2500+
- Joomla extension - $1000+
- Joomla module - $750+
- Joomla plugin - $750+
- Joomla SEO - $1000+
- Joomla security audits - $500+